Open Studio Weekend: Frequently Asked Questions
What is Open Studio Weekend?
Open Studio Weekend is an event organized by Louisville Visual Art and University of Louisville Hite Art Institute. One weekend each year, fine artists and crafters from all over Louisville open their doors to showcase their art and share their process. This event is a wonderful opportunity for anyone who appreciates art - from enthusiasts to collectors - to see artists at work, get a glimpse into the process of making art, and in some cases, take advantage of studio sales. It's such an amazing chance to see the behind the scenes world of your favorite artists, as well as new artists that will quickly become your favorites! Visitors create their own self-guided tour using the printed, downloadable or mobile-friendly directory.
Who can participate?
Fine artists/crafters who live or work in the Louisville metro area may register their studio to participate in Open Studio. In order for artists from outside of the Louisville metro area to participate, they must partner with a studio in Louisville.
When is it held?
Open Studio Weekend 2017 will take place Saturday, November 4, from 10am-5pm and Sunday November 5, noon-5pm. It is held one weekend, each fall.
Where is it held?
Studios are open throughout Louisville, Kentucky.
How can I be part of it?
Registration will begin July 1. A link to the application will appear here then.
When is the deadline to register for the 2017 Open Studio Weekend?
The deadline for studio registration is July 30, 2017.
Does my studio qualify/will I be accepted?
• OSW provides exposure for all artists of all levels in their career.
• At this time, the OSW tour is not juried, but new artists will be screened for quality. (This year the OSW exhibition at the Cressman Center WILL BE JURIED).
• Studio must be in the Louisville metro area
How much does it cost to participate and have my studio promoted through OSW?
OSW studio registration is $50. Please note, application fees are non-refundable.
Is the fee reduced if I participate with a group of other artists?
Each artist receives equal publicity in the directory and marketing materials. Therefore, each artist must submit their own application and pay the participation fee. If a group has 8 or more artists in one building and would like to have their organization listed, reduced fees may be available. Contact LVA to inquire.
What do I need to do to complete the registration form?
Before you begin, make sure you have a high-quality digital image in jpeg format. Be sure to complete all fields with an asterisk (*). After completing the form, you may pay by credit/debit card. If you would prefer to pay by check, you may mail it to: LVA, 1538 Lytle Street, Louisville, KY 40203 within one week of submitting your application.
What type of artwork image should I submit?
There are two sections in the registration form to submit images.
- Submit up to 3 images for OSW promotional items/directory. Images of artwork should be a good representation of your work.
- Submit up to 3 images for the OSW Juried Exhibition at the Cressman Center. Image must be of the exact work to be displayed and must be available for the duration of the exhibit.
- The image(s) you submit will be used in the directory and other Open Studio Weekend marketing materials and publicity efforts. It is your most visible marketing tool and the primary way visitors select which studios to visit.
- Be sure to choose an image that is high quality, clear, sharp and well-lit. Avoid showing frames, mats, stands, or anything other than your artwork.
- Images should not contain text or watermarks. Out-of-focus images may be rejected.
- Consider having your art photographed by a professional photographer.
- The format of the catalog listing image is square. We understand most artwork is not square and recommend cropping your image to a detail of your painting, photograph or other 2d artwork. Focusing on details in 3d art also works, or you can allow enough space around your piece when photographing to be able to crop to square. Horizontal or vertical images may appear smaller than the square ones in the catalog.
Can I apply in person or mail an application instead of online?
The application is online only. If you are having difficulties completing the form, a friend or family member may help you. LVA staff can also help over the phone, or you may make an appointment to come into the office and complete the form with staff’s help.
Why do I need to have a profile in the OSW Directory?
- This year OSW is changing the format of the ‘map’ and creating a directory (which will include a map). The new format will be more resourceful and provide a more informative studio profile.
- It is a successful marketing tool for you to use to build your art business and reach customers.
- Many potential customers and business review the OSW Directory for purchasing art or having exhibitions throughout the year.
- A link to your website will be included in your profile.
I am new to Open Studio Weekend and I have questions about the event...
LVA staff is available to answer your OSW questions anytime. You may call Amy Chase at 502.284.8166 x 108 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I would like to participate, but I don’t have a space where the public can visit. Do you provide a location or can I show my work at a business?
Many artists share their space, and visitors like to go to locations where there are multiple artists. If you would like to find a studio where an artist is looking to share or if you are an artist wanting to share your studio, contact Amy Chase at email@example.com
Do I have to demonstrate my artistic process?
Participating artists are not required to demonstrate. However, it is a way to connect and show the value of your work to OSW visitors. Actual demonstrations, storyboards, or showing a work-in-progress you can discuss are all ways to show your process.
What does OSW provide for my application fee?
- Advertisement listing for your studio in the full-color, print copies of the OSW catalog, which is distributed throughout Jefferson County and surrounding counties.
- Advertisement listing for your studio in the downloadable catalogs available on LVA’s website.
- A location listing for your studio on the mobile map.
- OSW advertising and publicity in local and regional publications/media.
- Tour marketing materials including directional signs and postcards.
- Link to your website on your artist profile.
- Opportunity to show your work at the OSW JURIED Exhibition at the Cressman Center.
- Proceeds from your OSW sales at your studio are 100% yours — LVA/UofL takes no commission.
- Opportunities to be featured on Artebella, TV and radio.
Do I need to be open both days of the Tour?
Artists are required to be open both Saturday and Sunday of the tour.
Can I show reproductions of my work?
Yes, copies of your original art may be included in your display along with your original work. These items may include prints, tiles, greeting cards, etc. You may not display art from another artist not participating in your studio or any other items that weren’t made by you.
How can I promote myself for the Open Studios Art Tour?
In addition to your directory studio listing, mobile-friendly map and submitting to the OSW juried exhibition, LVA members participating in OSW will have the opportunity to be featured on Artebella, 15 selected artists will have the opportunity for scheduled professional photo shoots to be used in promotional materials, and 5 artist members will be randomly selected to be featured in LVA’s Member Monday Blog.
Keep in mind that LVA promotes OSW as a whole. Artists are encouraged to help promote the Tour and their studios — the more buzz, the better the publicity.
Reasons to Participate in Open Studios Weekend
- Exposure and building relationships with the public
- Sell your work
- Promote your services (i.e., workshops, lectures, etc.)
- Help educate the public as to the value of your artwork and what time, training, tools and equipment go in to producing quality original artwork
- Two days of commission-free sales opportunity
- Inclusion of studio on the map
- Inclusion in the 2017 Studio Guide and Artist Directory
- Opportunity to submit artwork into the OSW Juried Exhibition at Cressman